Tex-Mex Shepherd’s Pie
- 45 min
- 60 min
- 1 L (4 cups) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) Baxter unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Baxter 35% cream
- To taste freshly ground salt and pepper
- 180 g (9 slices) Saputo sliced Monterey Jack cheese, cut in strips
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) cilantro, chopped
- 450 g (1 lb) ground veal
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) Baxter unsalted butter
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Mexican chili powder
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 540 ml (1 can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 L (4 cups) corn kernels, cooked
- To taste Baxter unsalted butter
- To taste Mexican chili powder
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water. Drain and mash. Stir in the butter and cream, and season to taste. When cooled, stir in the cheese and cilantro and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). In a large skillet, brown the veal and onion in the butter over high heat. Add the pepper and garlic and cook several minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the chili powder and water and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the beans, stir to combine, and transfer to a large baking dish. Cover with corn and top with the mashed potatoes.
- Dot with butter, sprinkle with chili powder and bake about 45 minutes, then run under the broiler just before serving.
Made fresh everyday, Baxter milk is a delicious part of your day. As a nutritious option, Baxter milk is an excellent source of calcium, protein and vitamin D for the whole family. You can always count on Baxter’s great tasting quality milk.
Baxter’s Cottage Cheese is fresh, tasty and nutritious - perfect for home-made lasagna or as a side dish with any salad or fresh fruit.