Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese with Spiced Breadcrumbs
- 15 min
- 150 min
Mac and Cheese
- 1 354mL can evaporated milk
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 5 mL (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 L (4 cups) Baxter 2% milk
- 500 mL (2 cups) Armstrong old Cheddar, shredded
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) cornstarch
- 1 L (4 cups) cooked macaroni, “al dente”
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Spiced Bread Crumbs
- 125 mL (½ cup) Baxter butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 250 mL (1 cup) breadcrumbs
- 125 mL (½ cup) pecans, chopped
- 5 mL (1 tsp) paprika
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) cayenne pepper
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) chili seasoning
- In a slow cooker, combine the evaporated milk, Dijon mustard and garlic powder.
- Add the milk and macaroni. Season with salt and pepper and stir.
- Mix together the shredded cheese and cornstarch, then sprinkle over the macaroni. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to obtain a rich and creamy sauce. Let rest for 15 minutes and stir before serving.
- Prepare the spiced breadcrumb mixture. In a frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the garlic. Add the bread crumbs and nuts, then stir to ensure thorough browning. Add the spices and stir again. Remove from heat when the breadcrumbs have browned and the nuts have become crispy.
- Serve the macaroni and cheese individually in bowls and garnish with the spiced breadcrumbs.
Made fresh everyday, Baxter milk is a delicious part of your day. As a nutritious option, Baxter milk is an excellent source of calcium, protein and vitamin D for the whole family. You can always count on Baxter’s great tasting quality milk.
Baxter’s Cottage Cheese is fresh, tasty and nutritious - perfect for home-made lasagna or as a side dish with any salad or fresh fruit.