Ricotta Cheese Blinis with Smoked Salmon
- 40 min
- 60 min
- 24 pieces
- 250 g (½ lb) cream cheese
- 1 lemon, zest only, finely chopped
- 125 mL (½ cup) Baxter milk
- 5 mL (1 tsp) sugar
- 5 mL (1 tsp) active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 300 g (10 oz) Saputo Ricotta di Campagna cheese
- 90 mL (6 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 5 mL (1 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 170 g (12 slices) smoked salmon, each slice halved
- 24 sprigs fresh dill
- Warm the cream cheese briefly in the microwave to soften then mix in the lemon zest. Set aside (this may be done up to two days ahead of time.)
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 10 seconds until just warm to the touch. Transfer to a bowl, add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Add yeast, stir, and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Using a whisk, add the eggs and Ricotta cheese to the milk mixture and beat well. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, and add them to the Ricotta cheese mixture. Whisk to incorporate.
- Heat a crepe or non-stick pan on medium-low heat. When hot enough to sizzle a bead of water, add 2.5 mL (½ tsp) of oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of batter into the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the top is bubbly. Using a small spatula, flip and cook for 1 minute more. Remove to a plate and allow to cool. Continue with the remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
- To assemble, place a teaspoon of the cream cheese on each blini, top with a piece of smoked salmon and garnish with a sprig of dill.
Baxter Buttermilk is high in calcium and protein and contains all the quality nutrients found in milk. It is the secret ingredient that adds flavour to your perfectly soft and fluffy cake, muffins, biscuits and pancakes without adding fat.