Mini Strawberry and Rhubarb Galettes
- 45 min
- 1 h 15 min (+ resting time)
- 6 single-serving galettes
For the crust (see note)
- 375 mL (1½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Baxter butter, cut into cubes and frozen for at least 20 minutes
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) sugar
- 1 egg
- About 30 mL (2 tbsp) ice water
For the filling
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped with the back of a knife
- 1 lb. rhubarb stalks, cut crosswise 1 cm thick
- 1/2 lb. strawberries, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 90 mL (1/3 cup) Saputo Ricotta di Campagna cheese
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) Baxter milk
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) coarse sugar
- Whipped cream
- For the crust: Add the flour, butter, and sugar to the bowl of a food processor. Run the food processor for 10 seconds, or until the mixture looks like sand. Add the egg and process for 10 seconds. Add the ice water and process until the mixture starts clumping together. If the dough still seems dry, add a bit more ice water, 5 mL (1 tsp) at a time, until you achieve the right texture.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Use your hands to gather the dough into a compact disk. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into 6 portions. Roll each portion into a 20-cm round. Transfer the rounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheet (they can overlap slightly) and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and vanilla and rub the two ingredients together using your fingers or the back of a spoon to thoroughly distribute the vanilla. Add the rhubarb and strawberries, mix well, then sprinkle with the cornstarch and toss to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C (425 °F).
- Transfer the rounds of dough back onto a work surface. Assemble the galettes one at a time: spread each round with 22 mL (1½ tbsp) Ricotta cheese, leaving a 4-cm border. Top with one-sixth of the fruit mixture (about 125 mL / ½ cup) and spread to cover the cheese. Fold the dough up and over the filling, creating a crease and gently pressing the dough down onto the filling as you go. Transfer the galette onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat to create all 6 galettes, placing them at least 1 to 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Brush the dough with milk, then sprinkle the dough and filling with sugar.
- Bake the galettes for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the filling bubbles and the crust is golden brown. Let cool for 15 to 30 minutes, then serve, topped with whipped cream.
Note: To save some time, you can use store-bought pie dough.
A tasty, creamy butter that is churned to perfection. Ideal for sandwiches, baking or cooking, Baxter’s butter is a must for every fridge.
Made fresh everyday, Baxter milk is a delicious part of your day. As a nutritious option, Baxter milk is an excellent source of calcium, protein and vitamin D for the whole family. You can always count on Baxter’s great tasting quality milk.