Zucchini and Chicken Enchiladas
- 25 MIN
- 45 MIN
- 2 to 3 medium-sized zucchini squash
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) salsa, divided
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) Baxter sour cream
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chili seasoning mix, or 15 mL (1 tbsp) Mexican chili powder
- 4 green onions, minced, divided
- 750 mL (3 cups) shredded cooked chicken meat
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) Armstrong Tex Mex Shredded Cheese, divided
- Fresh lime wedges
- Additional sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Lightly grease a 9” square baking dish and set aside.
- Using a mandoline slicer or a vegetable peeler, shave the zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices (the slices will break upon rolling if they’re too thick). Set the zucchini slices between paper towels and let rest while you prepare the filling.
- If the salsa you’re using is chunky, use a blender, hand blender, or food processor to blend it to a smooth consistency. Transfer half of the smooth salsa to a mixing bowl. Add the Baxter sour cream, chili seasoning mix, and half of the minced green onion, then whisk to combine. Add the shredded chicken meat and half of the Armstrong Tex Mex Shredded Cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Depending on the size of the zucchini you’re using, set 2 to 3 slices of zucchini side-by-side, slightly overlapping them, to create a 3” wide strip. Spoon 80 mL (1/3 cup) of the chicken mixture along one of the short ends of the zucchini. Roll tightly to secure the filling, then transfer the stuffed zucchini to the prepared baking dish. Repeat to create 12 enchiladas, making sure to tuck them tightly side-by-side in the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining salsa over the zucchini and chicken enchiladas, then sprinkle with the remaining Armstrong Tex Mex Shredded Cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the enchiladas are hot, the sauce is bubbly, and the cheese is golden brown (you can broil the enchiladas for a few seconds to give them more color, if needed). Transfer to a cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the zucchini and chicken enchiladas with the remaining minced green onions and serve with fresh lime wedges and additional sour cream.