Maple Hot Cross Buns with Dried Fruit
- 25 min
- 2 h 40 min
- 12 buns
- 250 mL (1 cup) Baxter milk, warm
- 1 sachet (8 g) traditional active dry yeast
- 125 mL (½ cup) maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 125 mL (½ cup) Baxter butter, melted and at room temperature
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) pure vanilla extract
- 5 mL (1 tsp) fine orange zest
- 2 mL (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2 mL (½ tsp) ground ginger
- 2 mL (½ tsp) sea salt
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) ground nutmeg
- 875 mL (3½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 250 mL (1 cup) chopped dried fruit (choice of cranberries, apricots, figs and/or raisins)
- 1 egg
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) Baxter milk, warm
For the maple icing
- 125 mL (½ cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine milk, yeast and 15 mL (1 tbsp) maple syrup. Let sit until the mixture foams, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a large mixing bowl and a 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9 inch) rectangular baking pan. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the maple syrup and the eggs, melted butter and vanilla to the yeast mixture. Whisk the ingredients together. Add the cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg, along with 750 mL (3 cups) of the flour. Combine into a sticky dough, approximately 5 minutes. Add the rest of the flour (125 mL / ½ cup) and the dried fruit, then knead until the dough becomes supple and smooth, about 5 minutes. If the dough remains sticky, add more flour, 15 mL (1 tbsp) at a time, until it becomes completely smooth and no longer sticks to your hands.
- Place the ball of dough in the greased mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit somewhere warm until it has doubled in size, around 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and roll each one into a ball. Transfer the balls into the greased baking dish, placing them side-by-side in a 4 x 3 grid. Be sure to space the balls evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until the balls double in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C (350 °F). Whisk together the egg and milk and brush onto buns. Bake in oven until buns become golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Before serving, whisk the powdered sugar and maple syrup together and use to ice buns as desired.
Made fresh everyday, Baxter milk is a delicious part of your day. As a nutritious option, Baxter milk is an excellent source of calcium, protein and vitamin D for the whole family. You can always count on Baxter’s great tasting quality milk.
A tasty, creamy butter that is churned to perfection. Ideal for sandwiches, baking or cooking, Baxter’s butter is a must for every fridge.
Baxter Buttermilk is high in calcium and protein and contains all the quality nutrients found in milk. It is the secret ingredient that adds flavour to your perfectly soft and fluffy cake, muffins, biscuits and pancakes without adding fat.